Sunday, May 15, 2011

Vasa Previa and the Bed Rest Blues

Tuesday April 19th I woke up got ready for a run and had some bleeding and contractions, I called the Dr. and she said to come in and they would do the 20 week ultrasound today instead of next week. The baby looked fine however some placenta and cord issues were identified. I was diagnosed with Vasa Previa and Velamentous Insertion of the Umbilical Cord. They will see me again May 17th for another Ultrasound and to check on the baby. In the mean time I am on bed rest until the next ultrasound and it SUCKS, only allowed to get up to pee and a 5 min shower every couple of days!
There are some good points, such as the kids are in daycare full time so I am all alone all day every day to read, rest and watch trash TV but seriously after a few weeks it really stinks.
The first 10 days we had my Mother In Law here to care for the kids and help Paul out with the household chores. It worked out well but Liam was having some issues adjusting to not only the Nebraska move but now Mom in bed and Nana here to rule the roost.
I've been very lucky to have Paul come home at lunch, and friends visit daily. We have had meals delivered from MOPS which has been a GREAT help, but seriously nothing can take away the fear, unknown and boredom of bed rest.
So far I have
  • Read the first 2 Stephanie Plum series books
  • Caught up on Real Housewives of New Jersey
  • Caught up on the Real World
  • Started watching The Secret Life of the American Teenager
  • Reinstalled Vista on my computer
  • Read Redeeming Love
  • Wrote thank you notes
  • Done a ton of crosswords and word games
  • Knitted the baby a sweater and hat
  • Played online Solitaire and Scrabble
Bed Rest has made me thankful for
  • A WONDERFUL husband who has taken care of everything, including me, our children, the dog, our house, all the cleaning, meals, etc. I am truly a blessed woman and I married the right man!
  • The support of my family and friends
  • The MOPS group here in Sidney Nebraska. Every day I have had a visitor drop by and people call to check on me.
  • MOPS meals! We have had meals delivered almost every night by wonderful Mama's
  • The support of my Bitchin Mama's from far away!
  • Day Care and how affordable and flexible it is here, allowing me to enroll both my children full time at a minutes notice! 

No comments: